Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The demystefication of wine

First of all, demystification is a word, I know cause I googled it. Isn't it great that google is now a verb? As I was saying. Wine. It has existed very nearly since the beginning of time it would seem. And yet for something that has been around the entire written history of man, and has played such a prominent role in history, It is still something that baffles many people. They ask questions like, "How do I pick a good bottle?", "Red or White?", and "What goes with fish?"

In recent years wine education has become much more prevalent however, especially among foodies. I'll confess to being one of these, who've received my education through trial and error, tasting room attendants, various articles, and my properly well educated family. I can say I have experienced truly award winning wine and pairings that would make your jaw drop.

Wine pairings done by professionals are something not to be missed. They can play tricks in your mouth and make you enjoy the experience more than you knew was possible. Certain wines pair with certain foods for a reason and they know what those are, and in the future we will be bringing you some of those pairings that hopefully you can try and enjoy the way we have.

In California we are fortunate to be in what is now one of the world's premier wine growing regions. This allows us access to world class wine makers and wineries. And as a result, world class wine. Ultimately, though, what appeals to your palate is entirely a personal matter. So in answer, you pick a good bottle by trying it out. Take notes of what you like. Look at rating scales. Speak to professionals and listen to their advice, but don't be tied down by it. LEARN what YOU like. Red or White? Up to you. What does go with fish? Whatever you feel like having with it. Take the time to learn some basics, learn from those who know, and don't be afraid to make a mistake.
http://www.endlesswine.com/


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Demysticiation: To remove mystery from; make clear
    Good word! I love wine! I think the love of wine comes from just being open to trying new kinds of wine!

    ReplyDelete