Thursday, April 14, 2011

Food and Childhood

"There either is or is not, that’s the way things are. The colour of the day. The way it felt to be a child. The saltwater on your sunburnt legs. Sometimes the water is yellow, sometimes it’s red. But what colour it may be in memory, depends on the day. I’m not going to tell you the story the way it happened. I’m going to tell it the way I remember it."
Charles Dickens (Great Expectations)

Do you remember it? The day, the smell, the taste. Maybe it is, as Dickens says not the way it took place exactly, but you do remember it. There is, for you, something.

I remember being a child and standing in the kitchen on a chair with my mother, watching her bake as she was taking decorating classes at the time. I was fascinated by how something so good as cake could look like my favorite cartoon characters. When I was 4, my parents had a party for me and there was Mickey Mouse in frosting. Amazing.

One day I remember vividly as the first time I ever did anything in the kitchen by myself. So here goes my memory. I hope it makes you smile at the thought of your own.

It was summer I think. I was old enough to read, maybe 6 or 7, but I was out of school. My Mom was at work and I was home with my Dad. Someone stopped by, an older friend of my family and He needed to speak about something, so they went into the office and I was left with free reign of the tv. Every kid's dream. I do though have to confess to being a very active child.

So, there I am watching tv, and I don't know. Maybe I saw a commercial, maybe I was just a kid, but all of a sudden, cake sounded like a great idea. It still is a great idea come to think of it. So I pull a chair out from the table, go to the cupboard where I knew all the baking items were, and I pulled out a box cake and a can of frosting. I was able to follow the directions, heat the oven, crack the eggs, pour the milk, and with some difficulty pour it into a pan.

A few minutes later, with the smell of something baking, my Dad jumps up and comes running into the room to see what was going on. After I explained myself I got a firm talking to about how I shouldn't be climbing on chairs, let alone turning the oven on without an adult. Then two men stood there puzzled. "You baked a cake?" "Yeah, but I think I'll need help with the frosting", and when it was done I got my help and the three of us sat down and had a piece of my creation. It was a rainbow cake, white with the sprinkles baked in, and a white frosting.

From then on, whenever there was a gathering, my parents had people for dinner, or something like that I was allowed to bake a cake and got help decorating. That's a memory that is special to me, it was my first experience and it made me comfortable in the kitchen. Something that has obviously stuck with me to this day.

So, you can imagine how I felt the first time I saw my neice standing on a chair next to my mother in the kitchen. Being told to keep her hands away while the mixer was going, but being able to lick the batter off when it was done. That's my memory. It may not be a perfectly perfect memory, but its mine. You have one too. Food is life...life should be good.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed the memory friend :) I have the best memories as kids with my cousins at my grandparents house. Most of my cooking memories are with my grandmother. The way she would make us a snack of a rice cake, cream cheese and apple butter. To this day I crave those :) But my favorite memories is she would buy those huge buckets of vanilla ice cream in the summer. Us cousins spent our summer days at her house while our parents worked. My grandmother was a teacher so during the summer every morning we would have "school" for 4 hours and after that we were allowed to play and swim for hours on end. Our treat at the end of the day would be being able to pick their fresh blackberries that grew all around the pool and getting a bowl of vanilla ice cream to put them into and mix around for a most delicious treat. Those are my treasured memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marcus,

    Enjoyed reading about your cake memories. I think I started cooking around age 10.. with some successes and some out there failures. But the love of cooking is still with me. As your Aunt Jeanne will attest... she says I cook more than I paint.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete